Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The James's Gate


5 McBride St. Jamaica Plain MA 02130
www.jamessgate.com
1/31/09

I have to be honest, I was not all that impressed with this burger.

I ordered it medium rare, with cheddar. It came out way overdone. More like medium, medium well. The patty seemed almost pre-made, but not quite. The beef seemed like it could have been good, but there was so much pepper in there, it was hard to really tell. It made me question it, because I would only put that much ground pepper in a burger if I was trying to hide something. Overall, mediocre.

The fries, on the other hand, were delicious! Lots of fries cut from the actual potato, so you could see and taste the skin. If it's any indicator, I ate all the fries, even though I left some of the burger.

Bottomline, if this was my first burger here, I wouldn't go back, at least not for the burger. And it's worth noting, word on the street is that the burgers here have gone way downhill over the past couple of years. But, as a neighborhood bar, it is great. And as the burger at your neighborhood bar, it'll satisfy a craving if needed. I've had other burgers here. Never earth shattering, but definitely better. Not a burger to seek out, but not one you need to avoid, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment