Thursday, January 29, 2009

Dogwood Cafe


3712 Washington St.
Jamaica Plain MA 02130

First, let’s start with the basics. My burger came out medium rare, and my friend’s was medium. Both what we ordered, and we were impressed after the first bite with that. The burger itself was fair. There were some spices mixed into the meat, which were tasty, but I felt like maybe they were masking the fact that the ground beef was only OK. The patty is also pre-formed, which always makes me think that it is inferior ground beef. I have been told that that is not always the case, but that is my bias, and I can’t quite get over it. The burger was quite moist, but I wouldn’t go so far as to say juicy. There are grill marks on the outside, so I think it was cooked on a grill, but it isn’t grilled crispy on the outside. This may go back to my squishing theory—they squish it flat during the cooking, and so some of the juices drip out. The whole thing is a little soft, but not as juicy. I couldn’t actually see the kitchen, though, and I didn’t ask, so this is just my theory. I will ask some questions next time.

I ordered the Gorgonzola Burger, with gorgonzola and roasted red pepper. Those flavors were quite delicious, and this was another great bun—held up the burger, but I barely knew it was there. I actually opted for the side salad, instead of fries. I figure if I am going to eat burgers like it’s my job, I should throw some salads in there to counterbalance my cholesterol or whatever. And it was actually quite good. I really like simple salads, with really good greens, and maybe one or two other ingredients, and this hit the nail on the head. Good mesclun green mix, and a good balsamic vinaigrette on the side. I did make sure to taste the fries, though, and they were good too—of the standard, shoestring variety. I’d say they were skinny for fries overall, but on the fatter side of shoestrings.

Overall, I’d say the Dogwood Burger is better than average, to be sure. It is not spectacular, but still pretty damn good. I would definitely order it again, but I wouldn’t go out of my way for it. Which from me, is a pretty big compliment. I am on the quest for the best burger in the world. So, I tend to stick to my favorites, or the great unknown. But if I found myself at the Dogwood, with a hankering for a burger, I’d order one, and know I would leave happy.

3 comments:

  1. It is amazing how inferior this one looks to the O'Sullivan. So far the descriptions are excellent and I can't wait to keep reading more. Are you going to come up with some master chart/ranking system? A top 20? What about guest blogging? You do know a lot of people around the country who like burgers.....

    Anyway, congratulations on the new endeavor - hope you get paid for it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. there are a lot of things working to make me stop being a vegetarian (the country of mexico, everyone in mexico), but this is by far the best reason i've seen so far! maybe i start eating meat and then you can be my burger guide when i get home? what a fun thing to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i concur with stafford--you need a ranking system, even if it's totally arbitrary. something where you can be like, "this burger was a B-, but the bun made it a solid B" or whatever. also, guest blogging--let me know! i love me some burgers....

    ReplyDelete